Spong's Landing Park is located on the donation land claim staked by Alexander Spong in 1853, along the Willamette River north of Salem. Captain John M. Spong operated a steam boat from the landing and other river traffic stopped for supplies and wood fuel cut on the property. A ferry was also operated by the Spong family, in competition with Doaks Ferry. The ferry was operated until the Salem bridges and the County-operated ferry forced it out of business. In the 20's and 30's, Spong's Landing was one of the most popular swimming and picnic facilities in Marion County. A sign at the entrance read: "Admission $.25 per car, $.05 hikers and bikers."