Must I file a Crash report?

Must I file a report?

You must file an Accident and Insurance Report form with DMV within 72 hours when:

  1. Damage to the vehicle you were driving is over $2,500, or
  2. Damage to any vehicle is over $2,500 and any vehicle is towed from the scene as a result of damages from this accident, or
  3. Injury or death resulted from this accident, or
  4. Damages to any one person's property other than a vehicle involved in this accident is over $2,500.

Accidents in areas open to the public for the use of motor vehicles must be reported.  Some drivers who are in accidents offer to fix the damage and try to get the other driver not to file a report.  If you agree to do this, you are breaking the law if the amount of damage is more than $2,500.  Always remember to keep a copy of your report for your own records.

You must file a report even if your vehicle was the only one in the crash.  If you do not report an accident when required to do so, your driving privileges will be suspended.

If you were in a collision and the other party did not have insurance, you can report the collision to DMV.  However, the accident may also go on your driving record, if you do not clearly indicate on the accident report that the accident does not meet mandatory reporting criteria.

Police Report

You must fill out an Accident and Insurance Report form and return it to DMV even if a police officer files a report.  A police report does not replace your requirement to file an accident report with DMV.  You must do that yourself.

The Keizer Police Department has the required DMV report forms and mailing envelopes available in our Business Office.  Accident Reports must be hand delivered or mailed to any DMV branch.