Traffic Safety-Bikeways-Pedestrian Committee
|Position||Member *Indicates Cycling Advocate||Term Ends|
|Ross Day, Council Liaison|
|Mike Griffin, Staff Liaison|
|David LeDay Police Liaison|
Purpose: To act in an advisory capacity to the Keizer City Council and City Manager in the creation, development and implementation of official traffic safety activities, including bikeways and pedestrian routes, and to make recommendations on projects and practices that improve safety, efficiencies and choices for transportation mode options. The powers and duties of the Committee shall include, but are not limited to:
- To develop, prioritize, and recommend coordinated traffic safety programs.
- To develop and maintain a Master Bikeway Plan to include an assessment of the need for bikeways, recommended routes with costs and priorities, proposed funding sources, and implementation program.
- To recommend traffic safety priorities for the City.
- To review and recommend project applications for funding.
- To serve in a liaison capacity between the City and the Oregon Traffic Safety Commission in developing the statewide highway safety program and in meeting National Highway Safety Program Standards.
- To provide traffic and transportation-related research and information to official agencies of the City.
- To coordinate and disseminate information to the public on routes and rules for bicyclists, pedestrians, and transit.
- To promote public knowledge and compliance with traffic safety programs and laws.
- To promote expanding transportation options that increase safety, efficiency, health, and independence.
- To provide an annual written or oral report of its activities to the Council and other reports which the Council may request from time to time.
Membership: The Committee shall consist of nine voting members. At least three (3) of the voting members shall be bicycle enthusiasts and actively engaged in recreational and/or commuter bicycling. Liaisons from the City Council, City staff and representatives from Marion County Fire District #1 and Keizer Fire District shall serve as non-voting ex officio members. The Fire District representatives shall be appointed by the Districts. Other members shall be appointed as outlined by the City Council Rules of Procedure, except for the initial selection which shall be by City Council appointment.
Term of Office: Other than the Keizer Fire District representative which shall be perpetual, each member of the Committee shall be appointed for a three-year term, except for initial terms which shall be staggered. Members may be reappointed. The terms shall be staggered so that not more than three will expire in the same year.
Chair and Vice-Chair: The Committee will elect the Chair and Vice-Chair at the first meeting of each calendar year.
Meetings: All meetings of the Committee shall follow Robert Rules of Order Newly Revised and the Oregon Public Meeting Laws.
Attendance: It is the duty of each member to attend at least 75% of the meetings each calendar year. When a member is unable to attend a meeting, the member shall notify the Chair. Members of the Committee may be removed by two-thirds majority vote of the City Council.