Cathy Clark and her husband Kevin have made Keizer, Oregon, their home for over twenty-seven years. Kevin and Cathy chose to move to the city of Keizer because of the warm, welcoming community atmosphere.
Cathy is originally from Los Angeles, California and graduated from Palos Verdes High School. At the University of California, Davis, she completed a Bachelor of Science degree with a double major of Biology and Wildlife Biology. She then earned a Master of Science degree in Biology from Kansas State University. Upon graduation, she and her dog, Heidi, moved to Corvallis for a job at Oregon State University. Cathy and Kevin met at church soon after she moved to Oregon and were married a year later. For 20 years, she was a home educator and ran her own business as a math and science tutor. Since 2013, she has been employed at the State of Oregon. She enjoys gardening, ‘Star Trek’, singing, Sudoku puzzles, and running. And she is learning to ride a motorcycle so she can cruise the beautiful Willamette Valley countryside with Kevin.
Kevin is a career firefighter/paramedic. He is currently the Chief of West Valley Fire District. Previously, he was a Battalion Chief at Marion County Fire District #1, where he worked for over 30 years. Three of their four grown children are working as professionals in their fields and one is a college student.
Cathy has been an active volunteer in the Keizer community since their children were young, teaching Sunday school and serving on the Keizer Indoor Park board. She became involved in city government in the late 1990’s through the Back Yard Burn Committee and Community Policing. In 2002, she was appointed to the Budget Committee. In 2006, she was elected to City Council Position #4 and re-elected in 2010, working primarily on local, regional and state transportation projects, planning and policy issues. In 2014, she was elected Mayor and was reelected in 2016. Through her work on the Council, she strives to reflect our community values of working together, volunteerism, and respect that create a quality standard of living for all members of our community.
You can reach Cathy by clicking on the email link above or on Facebook at Mayor Cathy Clark.
Current Committee Assignments
- Personnel Policy Committee
- MWACT (Mid-Willamette Area Commission on Transportation) - Vice-Chair since 2008
- SKATS (Salem Keizer Area Transportation Study) - Chair since 2012
- OMPOC (Oregon Municipal Planning Organization Consortium) SKATS representative; vice-chair since 2012.
- Salem River Crossing EIS - Oversight Team, 2007 to present
- Budget - since 2002
- Keizer Heritage Foundation Board of Directors - city council liaison
- Mid-Willamette Valley Council of Governments Board of Directors
- SEDCOR Board of Directors
- League of Oregon Cities, Board of Directors
Executive Support Specialist for state agencies: 2013-present
Math & Science Tutor: 2000 – 2016
Legislative Committee Assistant, Oregon State Legislature: 2013
Customer service: pool & spa parts and service: 2006 – 2007
Home school educator: 1991 – 2011
Oregon State University, Research Assistant: School of Veterinary Medicine 1981 – 1985, Zoology Department 1986.
Kansas State University, Division of Biological Sciences, Research Assistant: 1980 – 1981.
Prior Government Experience and Council Assignments:
- Mid-Willamette Homeless Initiative Task Force, Economic Development Commission, Council President 2011-2012; Wallace House Bicentennial; Keizer 23 TV Advisory Committee, Iris Festival Council city liaison, KFEST, Audit Committee
- Transportation System Plan Task Force, vice-chair; Events and Festivals Task Force, chair; Amphitheater Task Force, chair; Summer Concert Series Task Force, chair; Committee Review Task Force; Economic Opportunities Analysis Task Force; Chemawa Interchange Area Management Plan stakeholders committee; Salem Keizer Transit Community Leaders
- Prior city experience: Volunteer Coordinating Committee, Audit Committee, Keizer 23 TV Task Force, EVAK (Emergency Volunteers Assisting Keizer)