Cathy Clark and her husband Kevin have made Keizer their home since 1989. Kevin and Cathy chose to move to the city of Keizer because of the warm, welcoming community atmosphere. Cathy has been employed at the State of Oregon since 2013. Kevin is now retired after a 42 year career in the fire service. He was at Marion County Fire District #1 for 30 years and then served at West Valley Fire District, retiring as Chief.
Cathy is originally from Los Angeles, California and graduated from Palos Verdes High School. At the University of California, Davis, she completed a Bachelor of Science degree with a double major of Biology and Wildlife Biology. She then earned a Master of Science degree in Biology from Kansas State University. Upon graduation, she and her dog, Heidi, moved to Corvallis for a job at Oregon State University. Cathy and Kevin met at church soon after she moved to Oregon and were married a year later. For 20 years, she was a home educator for their four children and ran her own business as a math and science tutor and consultant.
Cathy has been an active volunteer in the Keizer community since their children were young, teaching Sunday school and serving on the Keizer Indoor Park board. She became involved in city government in the late 1990’s through the Back Yard Burn Committee and Community Policing. In 2002, she was appointed to the Budget Committee. In 2006, she was elected to City Council Position #4 and re-elected in 2010, working primarily on local, regional and state transportation projects, planning and policy issues.
In 2015, Cathy became Keizer’s 6th Mayor. She is currently working with leaders in Salem, Marion County and Polk County to carry out the work of the Mid-Willamette Homeless Initiative to improve services for people who are homeless in our community. And the city is working on serval studies on housing, transportation, land use and urban design to plan for Keizer’s future.
Through her work on the Council, Cathy strives to reflect Keizer’s community values of working together, volunteerism, and respect that create a quality standard of living for all members of our community.
You can reach Cathy at or on Facebook at Mayor Cathy Clark.
Current Committee Assignments
- Mid-Willamette Homeless Initiative, steering committee chair
- Personnel Policy Committee
- Keizer Little League Long Range Planning Task Force
- MWACT (Mid-Willamette Area Commission on Transportation) - Vice-Chair since 2008
- SKATS (Salem Keizer Area Transportation Study) - Chair since 2012
- Budget - since 2002
- Keizer Heritage Foundation Board of Directors - city council liaison
- Mid-Willamette Valley Council of Governments Board of Directors, chair 2017-2019
- SEDCOR Board of Directors
Executive Support Specialist for various state agencies: 2013-present
Customer service: pool & spa parts and service: 2006 – 2007
Home school educator, tutor and consultant: 1991 – 2016
Oregon State University, Research Assistant: School of Veterinary Medicine 1981 – 1985, Zoology Department 1986.
Kansas State University, Division of Biological Sciences, Research Assistant: 1980 – 1981.
Other Government Experience and Council Assignments:
- League of Oregon Cities, Board of Directors, 2016-2018
- Salem River Crossing EIS - Oversight Team, 2007 to 2018
- OMPOC (Oregon Municipal Planning Organization Consortium) SKATS representative; vice-chair 2012-2016
- Mid-Willamette Homeless Initiative Task Force 2016-2017
- Economic Development Commission, Council President 2011-2012; Wallace House Bicentennial; Keizer 23 TV Advisory Committee, Iris Festival Council city liaison, KFEST
- Transportation System Plan Task Force, vice-chair; Events and Festivals Task Force, chair; Amphitheater Task Force, chair; Summer Concert Series Task Force, chair; Committee Review Task Force; Economic Opportunities Analysis Task Force; Chemawa Interchange Area Management Plan stakeholders committee; Salem Keizer Transit Community Leaders
- Volunteer Coordinating Committee, Audit Committee, Keizer 23 TV Task Force, EVAK (Emergency Volunteers Assisting Keizer), CCTV Board of Directors