- Announcements for vacancies that occur on any City Council Committees shall be distributed to the media and posted on the City’s web page and at City Hall. Announcements will contain the name of the committee, a brief description of the duties of the committee, the date and time of the committee meetings, the number of vacancies that are available, the closing date to submit a volunteer application and verbiage indicating that applications must be received prior to the closing date in order to be considered at the next meeting.
- Applications delivered to City Hall will be stamped with the date received.
- Applications must be received by the closing date in the press release to be considered at the next Volunteer Coordinating Committee meeting. If an application is received after the closing date and a vacancy remains, the application may be considered at the next meeting. If there are no current vacancies, the application may be held for up to one year.
- Interested applicants whose applications are received prior to the posted deadline will be sent a letter inviting them to attend the Volunteer Coordinating Committee meeting to give an oral presentation on their background and qualifications for the position they are seeking. The presentation is mandatory and should be limited to five minutes. Applicants who are unable to attend the meeting may be considered if they submit their testimony in writing along with an explanation of why they are unable to attend in person, however, applicants who attend the meeting will be given preference over those unable to attend.
At the meeting
- Anyone wishing to address the Volunteer Coordinating Committee will be limited to 5 minutes for their testimony.
- At the beginning of the meeting, the chair of the Volunteer Coordinating Committee shall review the voting process with the applicants. The applicant will then be allowed five minutes to give an oral presentation highlighting their qualifications and background for the position they are seeking.
- The Volunteer Coordinating Committee may ask questions of the applicants. (Questions from the Committee are not included in the five minute time limit.)
- Upon conclusion of the presentations, a member of the Volunteer Coordinating Committee may move to close the nominations and nominate all applicants or individual candidates for the positions. .
- Each member of the Volunteer Coordinating Committee shall vote for a nominated candidate. The Committee will follow the voting guidelines and rules as set forth under the Oregon Public Meeting laws. (Voice vote, show of hands, or written ballots may be used. If written ballots are used, the vote of each member will be announced.) If a candidate receives a majority of the votes of the members present, the name of this candidate shall be forwarded to the City Council for consideration.
- If a candidate does not receive a majority of the votes of the members present, the names of the two candidates receiving the most votes shall be voted upon in the second vote.
- In the event of a tie vote during the second vote, the names of the two candidates shall be placed in a “hat” and the chair of the committee shall draw the successful name.
- A member of the Committee shall then make a motion to recommend the successful applicant to the City Council for appointment to the position. If there are multiple positions to fill, each position shall be voted separately.
City Councilor Applications
- A member of the City Council may not be considered for a position on a committee while they are actively serving as Councilor
- Whenever a position becomes vacant or a recommendation for appointment is not accepted by the City Council, it will be reopened for additional applications. If necessary, the Committee may use the option of suspending the rules to consider current applications.
- Letters will be sent to all non-successful individuals thanking them for their interest and encouraging them to attend the committee meetings.
- Non-successful volunteer applicants will remain on file for one year and will be contacted for any future openings on the committees of interest. If the applicant does not respond, the application will not be considered.
- For appointments to fill a mid-term vacancy of three months or less, the Volunteer Coordinating Committee will recommend the appointment for that period and the next consecutive term.
- When a person applies to be reappointed to serve on a committee, their attendance record will be presented to the VCC.
For a volunteer application, please click here .