Cathy Clark and her husband Kevin have made Keizer, Oregon, their home for over twenty-seven years. Kevin and Cathy chose to move to the city of Keizer because of the warm, welcoming community atmosphere.
Cathy is originally from Los Angeles, California and graduated from Palos Verdes High School. At the University of California, Davis, she completed a Bachelor of Science degree with a double major of Biology and Wildlife Biology. At Kansas State University, she earned a Master of Science degree in Biology. Upon graduation, she and her dog, Heidi, moved to Corvallis for a job at Oregon State University, which is also where she met her husband. For 20 years, she was a home educator and ran her own business as a math and science tutor. Since 2013, she has been employed at the state. She enjoys gardening, ‘Star Trek’, singing, Sudoku puzzles, and running. And she is learning to ride motorcycles so she can cruise the beautiful Willamette Valley countryside with Kevin.
Kevin is a career firefighter/paramedic. He is currently the Chief of West Valley Fire District. Previously, he was a Battalion Chief at Marion County Fire District #1, where he worked for over 30 years. Three of their children are working as professionals in their fields and one is a college student.
Cathy has been an active volunteer in the Keizer community since their children were young, teaching Sunday school and serving on the Keizer Indoor Park board. She became involved in city government in the late 1990’s through the Back Yard Burn Committee and Community Policing. In 2002, she was appointed to the Budget Committee. In 2006, she was elected to City Council Position #4 and re-elected in 2010, working primarily on local, regional and state transportation projects, planning and policy issues. In 2014, she was elected Mayor and took office in January 2015. Through her work on the Council, she strives to reflect our community values of strong connections, volunteerism and respect to create a quality standard of living for all members of our community.
You can reach Cathy at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Facebook at Mayor Cathy Clark.
Current Committee Assignments
- Keizer Economic Development Commission
- Personnel Policy Committee
- MWACT (Mid-Willamette Area Commission on Transportation) - Vice-Chair since 2008
- SKATS (Salem Keizer Area Transportation Study), Chair since 2012
- OMPOC (Oregon Municipal Planning Organization Consortium) SKATS representative; vice-chair since 2012.
- Salem River Crossing EIS - Oversight Team, 2007 to present
- Budget - since 2002
- Keizer Heritage Foundation Board council liaison
- Mid-Willamette Valley Council of Governments Board of Directors
- SEDCOR Board of Directors
- League of Oregon Cities, Board of Directors
- Mid-Willamette Homeless Initiative Task Force, co-chair
Executive Support Specialist for state agencies: 2013-present
Math & Science Tutor: 2000 – 2016
Legislative Committee Assistant, Oregon State Legislature: 2013
Customer service: pool & spa parts and service: 2006 – 2007
Home school educator: 1991 – 2011
Oregon State University, Research Assistant: School of Veterinary Medicine 1981 – 1985, Zoology Department 1986
Kansas State University, Division of Biological Sciences, Research Assistant: 1980 – 1981
Prior Government Experience and Council Assignments:
- Council President 2011-2012; Wallace House Bicentennial; Keizer 23 TV Advisory Committee, Iris Festival Council city liaison, KFEST, Audit Committee
- Transportation System Plan Task Force, vice-chair; Events and Festivals Task Force, chair; Amphitheater Task Force, chair; Summer Concert Series Task Force, chair; Committee Review Task Force; Economic Opportunities Analysis Task Force; Chemawa Interchange Area Management Plan stakeholders committee; Salem Keizer Transit Community Leaders
- Prior city experience: Volunteer Coordinating Committee, Audit Committee, Keizer 23 TV Task Force, EVAK (Emergency Volunteers Assisting Keizer)
Making Keizer Better Foundation and RIVERfair, Countryside Christian Church worship team, Iris Festival, Palma Ciea Swim Club treasurer, CCTV Board of Directors, Keizer Soccer Club treasurer, Salem Area Christian Home School Network (SACHSN) information contact, Dayspring Fellowship preschool teacher, Kids Voting Oregon, Marion-Polk League of Women Voters (president 1995 – 1996)