Wallace House Park was originally called River’s Edge Park and was purchased by the City of Salem from the Weeks, Cline and Gottenberg families in 1968. Portions of the site served as a nursery. The location is also the speculated location of the Wallace House, also known as Fort Wallace, which was built in 1812 as a trading post for John Jacob Astor’s American Fur Company. It was the first semi-permanent structure built by Euro-Americans in Oregon’s Willamette Valley. The building itself is long-gone but its approximate location is documented. A map drawn by explorer Nathaniel Wyeth in 1832 placed the ‘old Wallis house’ on the east bank of the Willamette River in present-day southwest Keizer.