Bob Newton Park, formerly Wilark or Willark Park (both names appear on formal documents), was donated by Kenneth and Anna Nielson who named it after the place where they met. The exact town of Wilark is not known, but a good possibility is the old lumber town of Wilark, now gone, that was owned by the Clark and Wilson Lumber Company (the name coming from combining the owners' names) and was located near the headwaters of the Clatskanie River in Columbia County. The park was renamed in 2007 to honor former Keizer Mayor and City Councilor, Colonel James Robert "Bob" Newton (retired).
Mr. Newton served in the Oregon National Guard (1957-1994), City Councilor (1983-1997) and Mayor (1999-2001) and on many civic and military boards during his time in Keizer. He was named Keizer’s First Citizen in 1996 by the Keizer Chamber of Commerce.