City Manager Updates
Here’s your weekly update for week ending 07-10-20
Community Development Department:
- Building Permits have been steady with a lot of home improvement projects, including interior remodels, small additions, new decks, and patio covers.
- Sterling Meadows (15 Lot Subdivision) has had 7 Certificates of Occupancy issued to date.
- Fleming Grove (14 Lot Subdivision) has 5 Certificates of Occupancy issued.
- Staff has been busy dealing with noxious weeds, solid waste, problem houses, parking, homeless camps, and just about all things code enforcement related.
- We have had 24 new cases in the last 6 days alone.
- Two properties are scheduled to be abated next week.
- The staff recommendation for the Area D masterplan amendment is being worked on in preparation for the August 3rd public hearing.
- The Kickoff meeting with the consultant team for the update to the Housing Needs Analysis/Buildable Lands Inventory has been scheduled. This project will incorporate the additional flexibility and density envisioned by the Keizer Revitalization Plan.
- The costs of growth impacts on the transportation system project timeline has been extended for an additional 3 months. We are hopeful the project will be completed sooner. (This extension was mutually agreed upon and anticipated, so is not a surprise.)
- We received notice that the Council of Governments (COG) received a Business Oregon grant to assist small businesses, which means there will be another avenue for small businesses in Keizer to pursue funding during these difficult economic times. The COG press release will be put on the City website and will be sent to the Keizer Chamber in an effort to help get the word out.
Public Works Department:
Parks & Facilities Division:
- The contractor performed the brush clearing in the lower portion of Wallace House Park on Wednesday and Thursday. They were able to clear a much larger area than we anticipated which now opens up a significant area for use to the public. You can actually see the river from the top of the bank in the northern parking lot!
- One temporary employee started this week and we expect to have one more for sure and maybe two more start next week. Once we get them trained, which we hope will only be a week or so more, we can open the splash fountain and start taking reservations for the Gazebo and picnic shelters.
- All of the park turf has been fertilized except the dog park.
Environmental & Technical Division:
- The SWAC met on Tuesday July 7th 2020 and will be reviewing the proposed SWMP document to provide comments back to staff.
- There is a regional social media campaign being done that will run through July. Information about this campaign is on the City’s web site.
- The City Hall well is back on line.
- The Reitz well replacement pump has been installed and we are waiting on sample results before putting it back on line.
Street/Stormwater Operations Division:
- The Shoreline Dr. and Cummings Ln. storm drain contractor will start preparing the road surface next week for paving the week of July 20th.
- The River Road resurfacing project begins tonight with the contractor digging out some areas needing repair and lowering manholes. They will begin the grinding and paving operations next Monday night.
- Here’s a link to Chief Teague’s op ed to the Keizer Times this last week.
I have been attending the Summer Oregon City/County Manager’s Virtual Conference for the last two days. As such, I wasn’t able to attend the LOC call this morning. The conference this year was nearly entirely staged around COVID-19 response and lessons learned, and Diversity, Equity, Inclusion issues. It was a great exchange of information even if it was virtual!
Past updates are listed below: